BMW is opening a new chapter in its tradition of super-sporty compact models. In the process it will set a new benchmark for driving pleasure – a brand speciality – at the premium end of this vehicle class. The new BMW 2 Series Coupé embodies sporting prowess in a particularly concentrated form, with a vehicle concept focused squarely on dynamic excellence, an athletic design, powerful engines and sophisticated chassis technology.
- New edition of the BMW 2 Series Coupé with a character focused squarely on dynamic performance. Athletic design, sophisticated chassis technology originally developed for the BMW 4 Series Coupé, rear-wheel drive and six-cylinder in-line engine are unique in the segment; they translate into superior sporting ability and hallmark BMW driving pleasure. World premiere at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July 2021. A new model will be built at the BMW Group’s San Luis Potosí plant in Mexico. South African market launch in the first quarter of 2022.
- New BMW 2 Series Coupé is a modern take on the traditional concept of a compact, performance-focused two-door model that dates back to the BMW 02. Standalone design with maximum differentiation from the compact BMW 1 Series models. Distinctive proportions, wide tracks, optimised aerodynamic properties, excellent body rigidity, intelligent lightweight design, almost perfectly balanced 50:50 weight distribution and a low centre of gravity create the ideal basis for extremely sporty handling.
- Launch line-up will be spearheaded by a high-performance model from BMW M GmbH: the BMW M240i xDrive Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 8.0 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 185 g/km) with a 285 kW/500Nm six-cylinder in-line petrol engine and intelligent all-wheel drive. There will also be a choice of four-cylinder petrol and diesel models whose power is transmitted to the rear wheels.
- Powerful proportions set within the classical three-box design, dynamic lines and exclusive details create a very expressive appearance. Exterior length increased by 105 millimetres, width by 64 millimetres and wheelbase by 51 millimetres compared to predecessor model. Vehicle height lowered by 28 millimetres, tracks widened by 54 millimetres at front (BMW M240i xDrive Coupé: +63 millimetres) and 31 millimetres at rear (BMW M240i xDrive Coupé: +35 millimetres).
- Eye-catching front-end design featuring individual headlights in BMW 02 style and a new-look BMW kidney grille. Vertically arranged active air flaps instead of bars. Sporty and graceful silhouette composed of crisp lines and surfaces sculpted for a muscular feel. Pronounced wheel arch flaring gives the rear a powerful look. Compact rear light units with rearranged LED light functions. Distinctive design accents for M Sport specification and BMW M240i xDrive Coupé.
- Standout sporting prowess in segment thanks to sophisticated chassis technology borrowed from the BMW 4 Series and given bespoke tuning. Clear improvement in agility, steering precision and cornering dynamics over the predecessor model. Integrated application of powertrain and chassis optimises the car’s steering behaviour and the build-up of lateral acceleration forces, enabling dynamic cornering and deftly controlled drifts. Excellent long-distance capabilities with optimised ride comfort and acoustics.
- Standard specification includes two-joint spring strut front axle, five‑link rear axle, lift-related dampers and Electric Power Steering with Servotronic function. M Sport suspension including variable sport steering is standard. New BMW M240i xDrive Coupé comes as standard with model-specific version of M Sport suspension, additional front axle struts, M Sport brakes and M Sport differential at the rear axle. Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers available as an option for flagship model.
- The new BMW 2 Series Coupé is fitted as standard with 19-inch light allow wheels with mixed-size tyres as part of the M Sport specification. BMW M240i xDrive Coupé rides on 19-inch M light-alloy wheels as standard with the option of high-performance tyres.
- Powerful and efficient engines featuring the latest BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. Six-cylinder in-line power unit in the new BMW M240i xDrive Coupé develops a maximum output that is 35 kW higher than in the outgoing model. Further improved four-cylinder petrol engine in the new BMW 220i Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 6.3 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 145 g/km) with 135 kW/300Nm and minimised emissions thanks to cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold. New BMW 220d Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 5.1 – 4.7 l/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 126 g/km) features a 140 kW/400Nm four-cylinder diesel unit with two-stage turbocharging and 48V mild-hybrid technology for instantaneous power delivery and high levels of efficiency.
- All the engines team up with an eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission with gearshift paddles on the steering wheel, plus Launch Control for powering off the line with optimal traction and Sprint function for instant, dynamic bursts of speed when already on the move.
- Individualised sports-car flair for the interior. Driver-focused cockpit design with a modern control panel in the centre console and the option of a fully digital display grouping. Sport seats and Sport leather steering wheel as standard, M leather steering wheel and M Sport seats with integral head restraints available as options. Special interior features for M Sport specification and the BMW M240i xDrive Coupé, such as cushioned knee pads on the centre console, heighten the emphasis on intense driving pleasure.
- Optional M Sport package Pro can be added on top of the M Sport specification to send an even clearer message about the car’s dynamic abilities. Features include 19-inch M light-alloy wheels, M Sport brakes, the eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, a front spoiler lip and an M rear spoiler. Model-specific M Performance Parts will also be available for the new BMW 2 Series Coupé from launch.
- Premium interior ambience represents a clear leap forward from the predecessor model. High-quality materials, precise workmanship and exclusive design features. Door panels incorporate new trapezoidal accent surfaces, which are stylishly backlit (with ambient lighting fitted as standard). M Sport specification and BMW M240i xDrive Coupé with Alcantara/Sensatec upholstery. Available as options: Sensatec perforated and Vernasca leather upholstery variants.
- Low seating position and enhanced feeling of space for driver and front passenger, two rear seats with an individual-seat character. Primary load capacity in directly viewable area of boot increased by 20 litres compared to predecessor. Total load capacity: 390 litres. Standard 40:20:40 split/folding rear seat backrest enhances versatility, loading edge 35 millimetres lower than on predecessor model.
- Three-zone automatic climate control and windscreen with acoustic glazing as standard, as well as ambient lighting. Optional extras such as seat and steering wheel heating, electrically adjustable seats including a memory function on the driver’s side and Harman Kardon surround sound system enhance both driving pleasure and comfort to excellent effect. Optional glass slide/tilt sunroof has a transparent surface nearly 20 per cent larger than on the outgoing model. Removable trailer tow hitch available as an option. Permissible trailer load: 1,600 kilograms.
- Significantly expanded selection of standard and optional driver assistance systems compared with the predecessor model. Available as optional extras: Driving Assistant with Lane Change Warning, Rear Collision Prevention and rear crossing traffic warning, Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function including manual Speed Limit Assist, Park Distance Control, Reversing Assistant, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View and Remote 3D View. Also available for the BMW 2 Series Coupé for the first time: BMW Head-Up Display and BMW Drive Recorder.
- State-of-the-art display and operating system with standard BMW Live Cockpit Professional with fully digital 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 10.25-inch control display. Intuitive, multimodal operation using the touchscreen display, BMW Controller, steering wheel buttons or voice control. BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant with extended capabilities and represented by new graphics in the control display.
- Cloud-based BMW Maps navigation system available in conjunction with the standard BMW Live Cockpit Professional. Fast, precise calculation of routes and arrival times, real-time traffic data updated at short intervals, facility for entering any word when searching for destination.
- Wide selection of in-car digital services. BMW TeleServices and intelligent emergency call included as standard, along with Remote Software Upgrades for importing improved functions and new digital services into the car over the air. Optional features include: Real Time Traffic Information with hazard alert, Connected Music and BMW Digital Key. Deep integration of Amazon Alexa possible when installed via the My BMW App.
- Smartphone integration using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available as standard: wireless WiFi connection; information shown in the control display, the instrument cluster and the optional BMW Head-Up Display.
Model variants at launch in South Africa:
BMW 220i Coupé:Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission .
Capacity: 1,998 cc, output: 135 kW at 5,000 – 6,500 rpm,
max. torque: 300 Nm at 1,350 – 4,000 rpm.
Acceleration: 7.5 seconds, top speed: 236 km/h.
Fuel consumption, combined: 6.3 l/100 km,
CO2 emissions, combined: 145 g/km.
BMW M240i xDrive Coupé:Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, BMW xDrive.
Capacity: 2,998 cc, output: 285 kW at 5,500 – 6,500 rpm,
max. torque: 500 Nm at 1,800 – 5,000 rpm.
Acceleration: 4.3 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h.
Fuel consumption, combined: 8.0 l/100 km,
CO2 emissions, combined: 185 g/km.
BMW 220d Coupé:Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW), eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission.
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 140 kW at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 400 Nm at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm.
Acceleration: 7 seconds, top speed: 237 km/h.
Fuel consumption, combined: 4.8 l/100 km
CO2 emissions, combined: 126 g/km.